|VECF 2013 Annual Meeting to Focus on Building Partnerships & Public Engagement for School Readiness|
The Virginia Early Childhood Foundation will hold its annual meeting at the Hotel Roanoke on October 21-22 with the focus "Making the Case: Building Will & Public Engagement." Approximately 100 business, education and community leaders who are involved in local Smart Beginnings school readiness initiatives from across the Commonwealth will convene for this annual event.
Read Press Release.
|Smart Beginnings Eastern Shore Launches School Readiness Initiative|
Smart Beginnings Eastern Shore, which was originally known as the Eastern Shore Early Childhood Coalition, is a collaborative effort involving community leaders from public and private sectors throughout the Eastern Shore region. Kathy Glazer, VECF President, is "pleased to welcome this new initiative to the Smart Beginnings family and to support their regional collaboration for school readiness."
Read Press Release.
|Leaders Convene in Roanoke for 2nd Session of the Smart Beginnings Leader Institute|
Smart Beginnings Leader Institute members from Central Virginia, Danville Pittsylvania, Greater Roanoke, Martinsville Henry, New River Valley, Shenandoah Valley and Southwest convened at Cox Communications in Roanoke for their second Leader Institute session. Their session was led by Deborah Roberston (South Carolina First Steps) and David Lisk (York County First Steps.)
Read Press Release.
|School Readiness Leaders Convene in Richmond for Smart Beginnings Leader Institute Session Two|
On August 20th school readiness leaders met at J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College in Richmond to convene for Session Two of the Smart Beginnings Leader Institute. The speakers from South Carolina's statewide early childhood initiative, First Steps, were Deborah Robertson, Director of Quality Business Engagement for South Carolina First Steps, and David Lisk, Executive Director of York County First Steps.
Read Press Release.
|Early Childhood Leaders to Participate in Inaugural Smart Beginnings Leader Institute|
VECF announces the creation of the Smart Beginnings Leader Institute, a seven-month series of sessions designed to engage, educate and enrich the capacity of leaders across the state in advancing school readiness for Virginia's young children.
Leader Institute Press Release
|VECF Announces New Board Leadership and Members|
Ben Davenport, chairman of Davenport Energy and First Piedmont Corporation in Chatham, VA, was elected Chair of the Board of Directors. Other officers elected were Katherine Busser, Adrian Chapman, & Reggie Jones. Drawing on Virginia’s top business, education, and health leaders, VECF welcomes six new board members.
Read more about the new officers and directors.
|VECF Announces Regional Support for Smart Beginnings Southwest Virginia|
VECF and United Way Virginia Highlands have partnered to build a regional system of support and operations for the local Smart Beginnings Initiatives in Southwest Virginia. Leadership will be provided by Buckey Boone, the newly hired Regional Coordinator for Smart Beginnings Southwest Virginia.
Read more about Smart Beginnings Southwest Virginia.
|Engaging Preschoolers in STEM Subjects Builds Future Workforce |Richmond, Virginia (October, 2012) -
Two preschools in the Tri-Cities region will benefit from an innovative program that teaches Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) concepts and skills to young children through the arts. The program, a partnership between Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts and the Northrop Grumman Foundation, will visit Lil Angels Day Care in Hopewell and Cornerstone Tender Care in Petersburg/Prince George County during the week of October 22-26. read more ...
|Glazer Named New President of Virginia Early Childhood Foundation|Richmond, VA (December 2011)
- The Virginia Early Childhood Foundation has announced that Kathy Glazer, a longtime advocate for policies benefiting young children and families in Virginia, will become the organization’s new president effective January 16, 2012. read more ...
|Grant from VECF Boosts School Readiness Efforts in Fluvanna & Louisa Counties|Richmond, VA (August 2011)
- Smart Beginnings Fluvanna Louisa, an initiative launched in 2009 to enhance school readiness among the area’s youngest citizens, has received a $100,000 grant from the Virginia Early Childhood Foundation read more ...
|Grant from VECF Boosts School Readiness Efforts in Northumberland & Lancaster|Richmond, VA (July 2011)
- Smart Beginnings Northumberland Lancaster, an initiative launched in 2010 to enhance school readiness among the area’s youngest citizens, has received a $95,000 grant from the Virginia Early Childhood Foundation (VECF). read more ...
|VECF Grants Take School Readiness Efforts to the Next Level in Central VA|Richmond, VA (July 2011)
- The Virginia Early Childhood Foundation has awarded several new grants to advance school readiness initiatives in Central Virginia so that young children can start school healthy and ready to learn. read more ...
|Prince William Area Launches School Readiness Initiative with $50,000 PNC Grant|Richmond, Va. (June 2011)
– Hundreds of young children and their families in the Prince William County, Manassas City and Manassas Park areas will benefit from a new school readiness initiative launched with a $50,000 planning grant from the Virginia Early Childhood Foundation and the PNC Foundation. read more ...
|Early Learning in SW Virginia Gets Financial Boost from Dominion|Richmond, VA (June 2011)
- The Dominion Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Dominion Resources, has awarded a grant of $100,000 to support the Southwest Virginia Regional School Readiness Initiative of the Virginia Early Childhood Foundation read more ...
|USAF Brigadier General Headlines Virginia Job One Event in Roanoke|Roanoke, VA (April 2011)
– Almost 100 local business leaders in greater Roanoke learned that investing in quality early childhood development is not only vital to growing a smarter workforce, it’s a matter of national security. read more ...
|USAF Brigadier General Headlines Virginia Job One Event in Bedford|Bedford, VA (April 2011)
– More than 100 local business leaders in Lynchburg and Bedford learned that investing in quality early childhood development is not only vital to growing a smarter workforce, it’s a matter of national security. read more ...
|VECF Awards Booster Funds to Support Local Early Childhood Initiative|Richmond, VA (February 2011)
– The Virginia Early Childhood Foundation (VECF), in conjunction with the Office of Early Childhood Development, has awarded $21,585 in supplementary Virginia Star Quality Initiative booster funds to Smart Beginnings Alexandria/Arlington through the Campagna Center. read more ...
|Crater Region Receives $50,000 Grant for New School Readiness Initiative|Richmond, VA (February 2011)
– The statewide Smart Beginnings initiative brings people together to help Virginia’s youngest citizens, ages prenatal to five, be better prepared for success in school and in life. read more ...
|Quality Child Care Rating Initiative Expands to Home-Based Providers In Six Virginia Communities|Richmond, VA (January 2011)
– The Virginia Early Childhood Foundation (VECF) and the Virginia Office of Early Childhood Development (OECD) are pleased to announce a pilot program to expand the Virginia Star Quality Initiative (VSQI) to include child care services provided in home-based settings. read more ...
|Brunswick, Halifax & Mecklenburg Counties Receive $50,000 Grant For New School Readiness Initiative|Richmond, VA (January 2011
) – The statewide Smart Beginnings initiative brings people together to help Virginia’s youngest citizens, ages prenatal to five, be successful in school and, ultimately, in the future workforce. read more ...